Monday, May 28, 2007

Life Between the Laundry and the Lamppost

“This is the land of Narnia,” said the Faun, “where we are now;
all that lies between the lamp-post and the great castle of
Cair Paravel on the eastern sea.”

- Chapter 2 where Lucy meets Mr. Tumnus
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe


Here I sit writing my first blog. How I got to this place is what I want to write about. You see, I live between the laundry and the lamppost. For me laundry represents all that is mundane in life - those things I have to do. They are not necessarily bad things, just not my favorite things. The lamppost represents all I desire for life including what I aspire to do and become - basically the things I want to do.

If you are familiar with The Chronicles of Narnia, the lamppost was the starting point into the wonderful world that was Narnia for the Pevensie children: Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. In Narnia they were in close contact with Aslan (the Christ-figure), they were kings and queens ruling a loving populace, they were fulfilling a destiny prophesied about and eagerly awaited by all Narnians. It was paradise, or almost anyway.

Let me back up even further. I have been in a funk for a few months now - somewhat of a mini-depression. If you know me, that is not like me. I am a "glass is half-full", happy kind of girl, and it's taken me awhile to put my finger on just what the problem was. After lots of prayer, soul-searching, fasting and long talks with trusted confidants, God revealed to me what was going on in the deepest parts of my heart. I live between the laundry and the lamppost and in recent months - years even - it's been ALOT more laundry than lamppost. That's been my struggle.

Blogging is just one way I hope to add a little more of the lamppost to my life: more reflection, intentionality and introspection. Those are some of the things that have gotten lost in my life amid constant diaper changes (two in diapers will do that!), seemingly endless meal preparations (21 meals a week for five people equals a total of 105 plates of food per week), nursing babies and sibling rivalry -i.e., the laundry of life.

If I am to be the help-mate to my husband God calls me to be, I need to spend more time under the glow of the lamppost. If I am to be a disciple-maker of my children, I need to spend more time under the glow of the lamppost. If I am to educate them, leading them to truth and wisdom I definitely need to spend more time under the glow of the lamppost. And if I am to grow into the image of my Savior, I will spend more time under the glow of the lamppost.

If you can relate, join me for the journey.

8 comments:

texas girl said...

Just further evidence that your brain oozes with creativity....my hope and prayer for you is that God blesses you with fulfillment in your writing and that you are able to bask in the warm glow of the lamppost. Love ya! Jana

LBKeller said...

Jennefer, I can relate more than you know. I, too, have been in a deep, dark funk for the past few months. It has been a long road from being the corporate IT guru who thrived on endless praise from her management to the now seemingly praiseless stay at home homeschool mom. It wasn't until I asked God to help me with endless piles of laundry AND help me take out the "trash" did I start to see a glimmer of light from the glorious lamppost. I am forever grateful that He wants to help me fold all of that laundry every day. I am forever grateful that He has put people like you in my life here in "Narnia" to remind me that I am never alone. Thank you for letting your light shine, for sharing it with me, even when only a flicker.

Love, LB

Anonymous said...

Jen...I enjoyed your story and i am sure that Mawby can relate. I can't think of anyone I would rather have teching my grandsons than you. I'm sorry we live so far away from you guys...would love to see you more.

God Bless / Pawgy

Anonymous said...

Beautiful reflections. I can't wait to watch the glow of your sweet face in the lamplight. I'm glad you found such a creative and helpful release. I love you girl! Lisa Carden

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your part of the journey! You are an awesome wife and mother for those four boys ;)! i have always related my similar experience to the story of Mary and Martha--unfortunately as one who is more often like Martha than Mary. I so appreciate Jesus gentle rebuke to her--He showed His understanding of her weakness and yet blessed the choice that Mary made.
While the presence of God is not limited to "quiet time" , the value of time that is quiet and focused on listening is the good portion. now if i can just remember that tomorrow....
thanks for the nudge...
Looking forward to reading more!
Susan

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy our talks together. I am thrilled you are on this journey and know it will bring joy to your soul. Thanks for sharing your life. I am excited to take this walk with you.
Love you- Kara

Anonymous said...

Jen, what a neat idea. I love the image that you came up with to describe this stage of life. I think this is a great way to get some perspective. We can be so isolated at home, and it helps so much to get our minds focused on the "upper story" as Francis Shaeffer calls it. Press on sister!
Beth E

Anonymous said...

Jen-
Good for you- for opening yourself up to others, for pressing on, and for being real in your struggles as well as your joy. Remember to give yourself enough grace to overcome any failure you may feel and temper it with enough hope to succeed- as God has provided an abundance of both. I'm proud to be your friend! Love- Leslie